Random Ramblings

Procrastinating the Inevitable...

Because Someone Needs To Ask...

By thePatrick

So, the other day on USUPhilosophy.com they asked an interesting question. Basically, if you could have lunch with one philosopher, who would it be? Then they created a poll where you could chose from Plato, Kant, Wittgenstein, Heidegger, or Nietzche.

I chose Kant.

But this brought to mind a serious question. Remembering that although I would consider myself a philosophy nerd, but an even bigger history nerd, I asked myself a reformed question. If I could have lunch with any U.S. President, who would it be?

My answer? Thomas Jefferson. For a few reasons. First, the whole 'Author of the Declaration of Independence' thing. Second, I need to ask him about the whole 'all men are created equal' phrase. Did it tear him apart to even write that? I mean, the dude owned slaves. And I'm not talking just a few around the house. He was a tobacco plantation owner. That's a lot of slaves. Yet he said that all men were created equal.

But I'm a nerd like that.

So, now I turn the question over to you, oh three readers of mine. Which U.S. President would you most like to have lunch with. I'd create a poll, but it seems silly to have a poll with 44 different responses. I'll repeat, make all the obvious assumptions: that they're not dead, that you would be able to communicate, that the food and service will all be good, etc. Who would you eat with? Feel free to leave your answer in the comments.

7 Comments

My husband dared me to say George Bush because I like that sexy cowboy type. (Which isn't even remotely accurate.)

However, I can't even in good conscience say that with a straight face. Ugh. But I did try. :)

I would probably have to say Franklin D. Roosevelt. And not just because he made the New Deal. It is because he was married to Eleanor Roosevelt and I've always thought she was an amazing women. A woman he didn't appreciate as much as he should have. She dedicated her life and purpose to him to help him be the president he was. And even after he died, she continued to serve in many ways.

So I would ask her to come to dinner, too, and then ask her a TON of questions. I'd ask her how she had the strength she did. I think she was a very educated woman who did not think she was above anyone else. She had gumption and held her own. I really admire her.

Sorry that kind of went around your question. But there's my answer. Take it for what it's worth.

I had to leave another comment because the word verification is so absurd.

hawhimmo

I think the deeper question for me is....who is paying. But to answer your question, I think I'd choose William Henry Harrison. I'd start out by complimenting him on a sweet haircut, and then spend the rest of the time consoling him cause he ONLY MADE IT FOR ONE MONTH. I mean really, I could do the whole "presidential" thing if it were only for a month!! Hey Mr. Harrison, "you forget that I am the the President now...sucka!" (edited for dramitization)

I would pick George Washington, because without him, Thomas Jefferson and the other Presidents wouldn't have been President. It would be interesting to talk with Jefferson being such an ambiguous/hypocritical character. As for your first question I’d talk with Plato, if for no other reason to finally figure out what Plato wrote that Socrates said and what Plato wrote and just said Socrates said.

As much as I'd like to agree with Chris, I wouldn't want to eat with Washington. By all accounts seeing his teeth wouldn't be good for the digestion.
I'd have to agree with your choice of Jefferson. He has long been my favorite. He was a true child of the Enlightment with all the resources (both intellectual and financial) to influence the world around him.
I would have questions about his relationship with Meriwether Lewis, his feelings on the other founding fathers, and I really would be interested in know how pathetic he viewed our countries current apathy and laziness regarding everything he fought for. I'd also like to introduce him to video games and see if his great mind turns to mush just as quickly as the rest of us.

Abraham Lincoln, definately. I would like to ask him how he kept going even through all of his lost campaigns and failed businesses to become the greatest and most compassionate president ever!

I've always thought Teddy Roosevelt was pretty badass. Although, a part of me would like to give Warren G. Harding a piece of my mind...

*dejaci

Post a Comment